Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Q) Some young men today want to be better fathers to their children than the fathers of previous generations were to their children. what are your feelings on this issue? Write an essay explaining how to be the ideal father.

Being a father is the toughest job anyone will every have. There are numerous qualities required for doing this job right. If I had to choose, I would say that being emotionally warm and available, setting clear boundaries, and being physically available are the top qualities any good father should possess.

First, a good father should be emotionally warm and available. For example, my father always was always there to listen when I needed to talk about something growing up. If I was sad because of something that happened at school, he would listen while I shared my feeling. If I needed a hug, I always got it and if I was scared, mom and dad always put their arms around me.

Second, a good father also sets very clear boundaries. For example. in Korea, many children are spoiled by their parents. I believe a good parent shows love by not spoiling his child with countless material gifts. They need to teach their children a lesson that people have to earn something valuable through hard works.

Finally, a good father is physically available. For example, my mom and dad participated in numerous activities with me when I was growing up. We went hiking together, had picnics in the park, and played games at home. My father spent a lot of time with me and this made me feel loved. This was very important to me and I look back on it as evidence of dad's deep sense of care.

So, a good father is emotionally available, sets clear boundaries and is physically available. There are numerous other qualities of a good father, but these are the foundations from which all those other qualities flow.